Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Beautiful Souls

Everyone once in awhile I am reminded of the reason I am in wonder of life.

The other day, I attended a meeting out at the Tech Lab. The purpose was to show a new tool that will greatly aid in the work of the assembled Driller Team. As we were stood around - about 20 of us - waiting for the demo to begin and as a few late arriving key players walked in - one member experienced a seizure. Pretty severe one. Spiraled into a fall which was only stopped by the concrete floor. He bounced - hard - from a direct hit on the back of his head.
Some of the team knew about his condition, others did not.

The events that followed truly inspired me.

I work alongside these guys a lot. When we do a 'join' we are at work long hours, working difficult challenges and you get to know people when you do that. They are a great group of guys. I didn't know how wonderful they were. The team member who went down is by no means the outcast nor the champion, he is just another one of the guys. We like him, he likes us, we have occasionally had words, not many, and never remained mad. Just worked through the problems.

What I saw that day was beautiful, but if I wasn't looking, I might have missed it. When he fell, so hard, immediately the 3 guys closest to him in proximity, gathered around, spoke reassuringly, got something soft to go under his head, kept him from thrashing into anything else and further injuring himself. They didn't fawn, they didn't mess up, they didn't yell, they didn't shock, they very calmly handled the situation from a position of caring. His supervisor immediately got on her blackberry to summon the aid car. Others stood in the aisle way to direct the aid car to the correct location when it did arrive. Everyone hushed and did what was needed to care.
The big manager - who was in attendance to authorize the budget - went scurrying after tissue to wipe the man's mouth - out of concern, compassion.
I saw such tenderness, care, empathy, intelligent first aid, respect. I was floored.

I work with these guys a lot, and I knew they were special, but I had no idea how special.

After the aid car came and took our co-worker off to the hospital, the demo resumed, all very professional. We took care of business. Some of us returned to our work areas, but another group immediately went to the hospital. To check on him... Made sure his car got home. Gave him a ride home from the hospital. Checked in on him via phone. Reported to the others not in attendance. Not just that day, but even still.

All of this was taken in stride. All in attendance stood in their honor as excellent humans.

I respected them all before - now - maybe a little awe....

1 comment:

Marcel said...

Great report on the human condition, Penny. I won't get preachy about how God grafted that into us at Creation, but I think there's goodness in all of us, we're just afraid of showing it, unless circumstances like what you saw call for it.

Did I know you had a blog???? I've blog rolled you!

P.S. - I got engaged. :) Read it at Noelle and Marcel's blog.