Thursday, November 8, 2007

Happy

I complain alot, grumble and gripe mostly. You would think I was a deeply unhappy person, unsetttled, dying for change. Miserable.
Truth be told - I am generally happy. Just because I grumble doesn't mean it is all untenable for me. I am not teetering on the edge of suicide. If I were honest and cheerful about all I am happy and thankful for - people would likely slap me.
Life is hard - I love a challenge. My kids are needy, atttention hogs - I adore them and thrive on their need of me. Work is demanding, draining - I love the challenging puzzle to make it work well.
The simplest things make my heart sing.
Watching the pure angelic look on my 5 year old's normally animated face as he is sleeping.
The wonderful feel of either of my cat's fur and wonderful thrum of their purrs.
Crisp autumn air.
Cool misty rain.
Bright and brilliant stars.
The amazing coloration of autumn leaves.
Seeing an eagle soaring free and wild overhead.
The warm fragrance of home that greets me as I walk in the door at the end of a long day.
Seeing a friends face after many years, recognizing the youth I once knew, recognizing the years we have all weathered reflected in their faces, recognizing the friend. Friends are amazing. People we don't have to like -but we do. We adore their company, seek their conversation, welcome their calls and their visits.
A soft warm bed, with fresh sheets and new pillows.
Candy.
Chocolate.
A quad shot, non-fat (better foam) no-whip, with foam, intense dark chocolate mocha valencia at Tully's.
I could go on all night. But the truth is, most of us experience at least one of these things every day. I savor those moments, those experiences. I taste it like it is my first time, like it is my last time. I pause to take it all in. I pull the car over to watch, in stunned silence (unless it's the Blue Angels - then there are a bunch of high pitched Oo, oo, oo's) I allow myself, abandon myself to these simple innocent pleasures.
And I don't feel guilty for grumbling ever.

No comments: