Sunday, September 16, 2007

Geocaching and Letterboxing

Recently I have been interested in geocaching and letterboxing. Today we actually followed thru on that impetus and went on a hunt. It was pretty simple to find - we didn't go far from home and we opted for letterboxing, since I wouldn't have to find out how to use DH's GPSr in order to do it either.
So you just go online to a site, find clues to the letterbox site, and then off you go. One the websites you can use different search criteria - we just searched in out county and found something close to home. When you letterbox, you find a cache that has a log book and a stamp. You sign the log book, stamp it with your own unique stamp. In addition, you bring your own log book and stamp it with the stamp you find in the cache. You note the date and location also.
The fun of it - is that there are only clues to find the cache - so you have to be a little canny. Also, you are supposed to be covert. I found that to be a bit of challenge today - what with the crazy 5 year old boy (known for being quiet - not so much) and the 'you can pick her out in a crowd' sullen looking Goth 13 year old in her giant Goth boots.
In general it was fun - rainy, but in the NW why would that stop us - and I think we will do it again.
In fact, I think I could get hooked on this as a family pastime.

No comments: